The cost of childcare has become a major issue for parents across Brent.
Under this out-of-touch Tory-led Government, childcare costs have risen by a staggering 30 percent. At the same time, there are 35,000 FEWER places and the Cameron-Clegg Government have cut financial support to help parents pay for childcare.
Some families have suffered a loss of £1500 a year.
In London the impact is particularly severe.
- Childcare costs have risen by 19% in the last 12 months – five times faster than pay.
- The average cost of a 25 hours nursery place in London is now over £130 a week.
- As a direct result a quarter of parents are now prevented from going back to work or increasing their hours.
Hard pressed families need help with the costs of childcare right now. Yet while David Cameron and Nick Clegg have cut taxes for millionaires this year, they won’t provide any further support to help families with the costs of childcare until after 2015.
Labour’s pledge to extend free childcare provision from 15 to 25 hours for three and four year olds with parents in work will be a real boost for local families in Brent struggling with the cost of living crisis.
- Introduce a ‘primary childcare guarantee’ giving all parents of primary school children the guarantee of childcare availability through their school from 8am-6pm
- Expand free childcare for 3 & 4 year olds from 15 to 25 hours per week for working parents – an increase in childcare support worth over £1,500 per child. This package will be funded from an increased Bank Levy.
Locally in Brent Labour are taking action to help families in tough times. We have:
- Protected every local Sure Start centre from closure despite Tory & Lib Dem cuts of over £100m to local services
- Introduced the first flexible child-minder service in the country to help local parents stay in work